Awesome Swiss Data Sources
This file presents some of the main repositories of data in Switzerland in a brief overview, that we have tailored for participants of the GovTech Hackathon. Every source listed on this page has an openly accessible API - which may just require registering for an API key - whose machine-readable endpoint we link to directly. Earlier versions of this page can be found at forum.opendata.ch and make.opendata.ch. Check out Awesome Open Government Data Switzerland for a more comprehensive list of Open Government Data (OGD) portals, websites, APIs, tools and other related resources in Switzerland and abroad.
Please open a PR, write us an issue or contact us with questions, corrections, suggestions 🙇
- opendata.swiss (API) is the main open data portal of the Swiss Federal Government. It has over 8'600 datasets and services from official sources to explore and download, with the CKAN API (see also Handbook doc in German) for connecting with your apps and widgets.
- geo.admin.ch the Federal Geoportal with (API), features live web maps with 854 of geographic overlays (complete Catalogue or List), which can be used via RESTful services like WMS WMTS LinkedData, Raw data or RESTful feature API, and diverse endpoints which allow you to extract the data for your applications inkluding place ZIP search, reverse geocoding etc. Furthermore there are 21'000 WMS WMTS and rawdatasets from cantons searchable via GeoHarvester POC or www.geocat.ch
- opentransportdata.swiss (API) is the customer information platform for Swiss public transport and individual mobility. Visit the Cookbook to find out how to use the data in your apps.
In some cases, data from Swiss cantons, municipalities or other geographical regions is being published on opendata.swiss, however some have dedicated portals with extra features or support options:
Here you can find some well supported data sources, which may offer service-level guarantees on their APIs and other features.
- Wetter API (API) from Meteotest is a reliable source of weather, climate, and environmental data.
These are associations and community projects that offer APIs on a non-commercial, typically limited-support, basis.
- transport.opendata.ch (API) aims to provide developers with easy programmatic access to public transport data within Switzerland.