Open sourcing water fountains, literally!
Website "Nidwaldner Brunnenführer" contains over 100 water fountains of Nidwalden. This wants to be "open data sourced".
Our goal was to prepare the data that Jana Von Holzen provided us with her Maturaarbeit and to integrate that data into Wikimedia, WikiData and OpenStreetMap. We managed quite a few things:
- we prepared data from fountains located in Nidwalden and Luzern with Python scripts
- made a few OSM entries for Luzern and Nidwalden fountains
- made WikiData entries for Nidwalden fountains including pictures
- added information where it was missing
- and wrote a general How-To for people on GitHub (see source code link), that are interested in taking part in this ongoing project.
Possible next steps:
- Adding additional fountain information.
- Is it wheelchair accessible?
- Are dogs allowed?
- Bottle filling possible?
- Who is the artist?
- Historic text?
- Short URLs?
We also hope to open new possibilities for tourism organisations and travel enthusiasts to explore switzerland's fountains. It's ideal for bicycle tours as well as historic fountain tours & sightseeing suggestions. The water fountains Project could also contribute to ecological awareness, since filling bottles helps reduce plastic waste.
Highschool graduate Jana von Holzen created an interdisciplinary overview of more than 100 water fountains of canton Nidwalden in her thesis called "Nidwaldner Brunnen" (Maturaarbeit Oct. 2017 Stans MS Word docs.
This data has been published as a website. To serve to a broader public, this information should be made «open data» including uploading the images in Wikimedia Commons and integrating further data into OpenStreetMap and Wikidata. Raw fountain data already online here .
The benefit of this challenge is that the base information becomes available beyond the current website, e.g. in water-fountains.org and in many other applications leveraging open data repositories.
- Upload pictures to Wikimedia Commons
- Integrate data into OpenStreetMap
- Integrate data into Wikidata.
- Extend the water-fountains.org (h2o) framework to list sources or dimensions of fountain.
Main contact: Ralf Hauser