Culinary history of a region or a dish
Where does Raclette come from? What is the culinary history of Spain?JOIN
The idea of this challenge is to encourage hackers to provide a Web application that allows users to explore the culinary history of (a) a dish (e.g. Paella) and (b) a region (e.g. Switzerland).
It would be interesting to let the user see:
- The dishes that were invented over time in a region, together with events that co-occurred and some other relevant facts that describe the region.
- The importance of ingredients in different regions over time.
- A comparison of dishes appearing simultaneously in different regions.
- The relation of dishes in a timeline -- to understand if some dishes appeared as successors of others.
- New ways of clustering regions based on their food.
Relevant data sources
- Wikidata: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Data_access (you will find descriptions of countries, events, dishes, people)
- Wikimedia Commons (for pictures): https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Food ingredients data sets: e.g. https://data.world/datafiniti/food-ingredient-lists
- Recipe data sets: e.g. https://old.datahub.io/dataset/recipe-dataset
Probably not all countries or all dishes are equally described. But if hackers could pick a few examples with existing data, that would already be great.
And the interesting thing is that, if you don't see a fact in a Wikidata item description, you can go an edit it and it will appear live in your application. :)